Official visitor guide produced in association with the
Visit Chester & Cheshire regional tourist board.
Sunday, 8th December 2013
The name of Poynton is of Old English derivation, indicating ancient settlement by the Anglo-Saxons. From the late middle ages coal has been mined in Poynton. The collieries, under the ownership of the Lords Vernon, from 1832 until their closure in 1935 they were the largest in Cheshire. The huge scale model in our Local History area shows the village as it looked c1900 with the many coal mines and railways that crossed the area at the time.
Weekends from March to October. Check with Museum for opening times.